Northwestern Regional Libraries are opening to the public on a limited basis on July 6, 2020. Click for details.
We are excited to announce that Northwestern Regional Libraries are opening to the public on a limited basis on July 6, 2020 after a soft opening this week. We have missed you and look forward to seeing you soon! To protect yourself and others, we ask that you please read and follow the following information and safety protocols:
- Staff will wear face masks/coverings and protective equipment and according to state orders, those entering must also wear a mask to protect themselves and others. We are able to provide a mask to patrons needing one while supplies last. Masks must cover the mouth and nose and be worn at all times.
- Libraries hours will be as follows:
- High Risk/Vulnerable Populations 9:30am-10:30am Monday-Friday
- General Public 10:30am-5pm Monday-Thursday
- General Public 10:30am-4pm Fridays
- Saturday hours vary by library, contact your local branch for Saturday hours.
- Limited number of patrons may enter the building at a time, number to be posted at each branch.
- Patrons wishing to enter the building once the limit is reached may wait outside 6 feet apart in the designated area.
- Visits will be limited to 30 minutes per visit and one visit per day. This includes any business being conducted at the library including checking out materials and computer use. Patrons seeking Employment Assistance or using Employment Assistance services may make an appointment to have an extended visit of no more than 1 hour.
- All seating areas are limited, and patrons will follow the six foot distance recommended for social distancing at all times.
- Water fountains and study rooms will not be available for use. Children's toys, games, and stuffed animals are also unavailable.
- Restrooms will be open and will be cleaned once per day.
- Self checkout stations are available at Mount Airy and King branches. Instructions are provided at each terminal.
- Curbside service will continue following established curbside procedures. Please call ahead to use this service and check availability.
- The Circulation desk will have no more than two staff members; staff can check out items for you, take fines and fees (no-touch method) and issue library cards. We encourage those wanting a library card to fill out our online form located in the lower left corner of our “Search catalog” page.
The URL to request a library card is: https://northwestern.nccardinal.org/eg/opac/register
Once you complete the online form, please contact your local branch to complete your registration.
StudentAccess account holders may continue to use their student ID to check out up to 10 books/audiobooks with no late fines.
We want to make sure our patrons have the best experience possible when using the library:
Need help at home? Use the following link with some helpful information:
- Hand sanitizer will be available at each branch.
- Protect yourself and others by following our social distancing guides and signage at the circulation desk and our one-way arrow signage throughout the building in order to minimize close contact with others.
- Computers will be available by registering for a time slot either by calling or speaking with our staff greeter when you arrive.
- If you use equipment such as the online catalog, public computer, or self checkout, please use hand sanitizer or wash your hands before and after.
- Please call ahead if you need help placing a hold or would like us to pull items for you.
- Please call ahead to confirm items are ready for pickup or for any additional information and speak with our staff greeter when you arrive so that we can make your visit go more smoothly and efficiently.
Makerspace needs the following items if you are willing to donate:
letter beadsdecorative beads
Dollar Tree Make It Blocks Bases
Help us buy books, supplies, and technology!
Students get a small prize for donating and their teachers get book fair credit to spend!
The library collects:
Plastic bags from cereal: Inside a box or already in a bag; make sure crumbs are emptied
Coke Rewards Codes found on lids (donate to West Yadkin or send in for me to submit)-A check is sent quarterly https://us.coca-cola.com/give/
Tyson labels (we receive 25 cents each!)-CASH
Plastic packages from Entemann's Little Bites Muffins-CASH
Current receipts with Kellogg's products purchased-get books and supplies
Go Go Squeeze- Applesauce pouches and caps-CASH
- Toothpaste tubes and caps
- Toothbrush and toothpaste tube outer packaging
- Floss containers
Personal Care and Beauty-CASH:
- Hair care packaging such as shampoo bottles and caps, conditioner bottles and caps, hair gel tubes and caps, hair spray bottles and triggers, and hair paste plastic jars and caps
- Skin care packaging such as lip balm tubes, face soap dispensers and tubes, face lotion bottles, tubes and plastic jars, body wash containers, soap tubes and dispensers, body lotion dispensers and bottles, shaving foam tubes (no cans), and hand lotion bottles and tubes
- Cosmetics packaging such as lipstick cases, lip gloss tubes, mascara tubes, eye shadow cases, bronzer cases, foundation packaging and bottles, powder cases, eyeliner cases, eyeliner pencils, eye shadow tubes, concealer tubes, concealer sticks, and lip liner pencils
- Air Freshener cartridges and plugs
- Air Freshener packaging and flexible film
- Air Freshener plastic trigger heads
We need the following items to fill up our Makerspace area
Playing cards (missing cards is okay-used for building; not playing)
empty Pringles canisters
elbow and T-joints
plastic tubing/PVC pipe
Collapsible clothes rack
Post It Notes
Working Light Bulbs
All kinds of tape (scotch, masking, duct, packing, electrical, painters, medical)
Scissors (including scrapbook shape style)
All kinds of glue (white, cement, tacky, super)
String, Yarn, Ribbon
Working Batteries (all sizes)
art/craft supplies, especially pipe cleaners, felt, foam (okay if bits and pieces)
paint (craft style)
wire, nails, screws
fabric style measuring tape
magnets (all sizes)
dominoes (wooden and plastic, black or ivory)
craft wheels/ castors
broken toys with motors to take out or wheels to take off
gift cards to Michaels, AC Moore, or Amazon, Wal-Mart, Lowe's Home Improvement, Dollar General, Kaplan's (to purchase immediate needs)
Find your next read...Type in the title and author of the book you just read, then get a list of books that you might like to read next. Click here: http://bookseer.com/
If you have any books that are hardcovers in good condition that you would like to donate to the library, please feel free to do so. Please note that if the library cannot use all materials donated, they will be dispersed to teachers for their classrooms.Due to budget constraints, the West Yadkin Media Center cannot purchase many new books. I am especially looking for popular series books (like Diary of a Wimpy Kid). Thank you for your consideration. Ask me for a donation receipt that you can use for your taxes if you itemize!
Library School Supply Wish List:
- Wide Ruled Filler Paper
- Address Labels (like Avery)
- Clorox Wipes
- Card Stock
- Gallon and Quart Size Ziploc Bags
- Glue Sticks and White glue
- Construction Paper
- Sheet protectors
- empty baby wipes containers